- Comprehension development
- Reading strategy development which includes: word analysis and self-monitoring techniques
- Student reads from a text that is on his/her instructional reading level.
- Children reading between a primer and 2.2 level, read texts that use controlled, yet meaningful vocabulary.
- Once children reach a strong 2.2 reading level and above, they read leveled tradebooks.
The tutor provides:
- Comprehension support: Previewing stories, activating and building student's background knowledge, setting a purpose, helping students to predict, summarize, and answer questions
- Contextual reading support: Echo reading, and/or partner reading to support fluency
- Word recognition support: Encouraging analysis of unfamiliar words, self-correction, and if necessary, providing unknown words